Volunteering in our Foster Care Program is an extremely rewarding opportunity both for individuals and for families. Foster volunteers provide care and a loving temporary home to an animal in need until it is ready for adoption. In 2014, our dedicated network of more than 170 foster homes helped 939 pets heal, grow and thrive.
About the Foster Care Program
Why Do Animals Need to be Fostered?
- Animals too young to be adopted (Click here to read one kitten’s story)
- Mother animals and nursing offspring
- Animals who need socialization
- Adoptable animals who need TLC in a home environment
- Animals with upper respiratory illness or kennel cough
What are Foster Parents?
- Foster Parents are volunteers of Foothills Animal Shelter who provide temporary homes for select animals who may have special needs and/or require additional marketing to find a new family.
How to Apply
Application: Click here to download and print an application form. You may also pick up an application at the Shelter during open business hours. Submit your completed application in one of these ways:
- In person at the Shelter
- By scanned e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By fax to: 720-278-8552
- By mail to:
Foothills Animal Shelter
Attention: Foster Care Manager
580 McIntyre St.
Golden, CO 80401
Home Visit: After your application has been submitted and reviewed, you will be contacted by our Foster Care Manager to schedule a visit to your home. Foothills Animal Shelter and state law require a home visit for all new foster families. During this friendly visit, Foster Care staff member will come to your home to get to know you and your family.
Foster Pet Profile: With your input, our Foster Care team will create a profile of the animals that would best fit in your home environment.
Welcoming Home a Foster Pet: When a foster animal is available for your situation, we will contact you and you can begin fostering. You will receive support from our Foster Care and Health Care staff members.
Questions: Contact the Foster Care Department at email@example.com or 720-407-5231.