Foster Care

Volunteering in our Foster Care Program is an extremely rewarding opportunity both for individuals and for families. Foster volunteers provide care and a loving temporary home to an animal with medical or behavioral needs until it is ready for adoption. In 2016, our dedicated network of more than 170 foster homes helped more than 1,100 pets heal, grow and thrive.

About the Foster Care Program

95% of our foster animals are medically needy, and the remaining 5% require behavioral assistance.

Why Do Animals Need to be Fostered?

  • Animals too young to be adopted
  • Mother animals and nursing offspring
  • Animals who need socialization
  • Adoptable animals who need TLC in a home environment
  • Animals with upper respiratory illness or kennel cough
  • Animals awaiting medical procedures
  • Please note that we do not foster-to-adopt

What are Foster Parents?

  • Foster Parents are volunteers of Foothills Animal Shelter who provide temporary homes for select animals who may have special needs and/or require additional marketing to find a new family.

How to Apply

Application: Click here to fill out the online application.

Home Visit: After your application has been submitted and reviewed, you will be contacted by our Foster Care Manager to schedule a phone interview, provide information on filling out a background check (costs $15.40) and schedule a visit to your home. Foothills Animal Shelter and state law require a home visit for all new foster families. During this friendly visit, a Foster Care staff member or volunteer will come to your home to get to know you and your family.

Foster Pet Profile: With your input, our Foster Care team will create a profile of the animals that would best fit in your home environment.

Welcoming Home a Foster Pet: As animals become available for foster, you will receive communications with details about the pets available and you may choose to foster as you prefer. You will receive support from our Foster Care and Veterinary Services staff members.

Questions: Contact the Foster Care Department at foster@fas4pets.org or 720-407-5231.