The Foster Care Program is an extremely rewarding opportunity, for individuals and for families. Foster volunteers provide care and a loving, temporary home to an animal with medical or behavioral needs until it is ready for adoption.
About the Foster Care Program
Want to learn more about the Foster Program? Check out this video from the City of Arvada.
Ninety-five percent of our foster animals are medically needy, and the remaining 5% require behavioral assistance.
What are Foster Parents?
- Foster Parents are volunteers of Foothills Animal Shelter who provide temporary homes for select animals who may have special needs and/or require additional marketing to find a new family.
Why Do Animals Need to be Fostered?
- Animals too young to be adopted
- Mother animals and nursing offspring
- Animals who need socialization
- Adoptable animals who need TLC in a home environment
- Animals with upper respiratory illness or kennel cough
- Animals awaiting medical procedures
- Please note that we do not foster-to-adopt
How to Apply
Application: Click here to fill out the online application.
Foster Applicant Requirements:
- Must be 18 years or older
- Foster home must meet animal zoning requirements in resident’s municipality
Note: Foster approval and placement on a case-by-case based on foster home and animal details.
Home Visit: After your application has been submitted and reviewed, you will be contacted by our Foster Care staff to schedule a phone interview, provide information on filling out a background check (costs $15.40) and schedule a visit to your home. Foothills Animal Shelter and state law require a home visit for all new foster families. During this friendly visit, a Foster Care staff member or volunteer will come to your home to get to know you and your family.
Foster Pet Profile: With your input, our Foster Care team will create a profile of the animals that would best fit in your home environment.
Welcoming Home a Foster Pet: As animals become available for foster, you will receive communications with details about the pets available and you may choose to foster as you prefer. You will receive support from our Foster Care and Veterinary Services staff members.
Questions: Contact the Foster Care Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 720-407-5239.