The Community Service Program at Foothills Animal Shelter is available for individuals who are required to complete court-ordered community service hours within Jefferson County and the surrounding areas. Due to limited time and training, Community Service volunteers will not have direct animal contact while working at the Shelter. Community Service tasks will include, but are not limited to: kennel cleaning, laundry, dishes, bathrooms, floors and other cleaning tasks. If you have any physical limitations or health concerns, please let us know in advance in your application, so that we can assess if we have tasks that accommodate your needs.
Please note that Foothills Animal Shelter reserves the right to refuse a Community Service volunteer at any time for any reason.
Please read the requirements, guidelines and next steps below to get started with the Community Service Program. If you have any additional questions, please email email@example.com or call 720-407-5216.
- All Community Service volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
- We CANNOT accept Community Service volunteers with the following charges, either current or past: felonies, violence/assault or animal cruelty.
- We are not able to accept Community Service volunteers with under 20 hours or whose hours are assigned out of state.
- You will be required to submit and pay for a background check before being accepted into the program. The fee is $16.25 (non-refundable). This requirement does not apply to hours assigned through Jefferson County Court.
- We have limited shifts available; depending on your hours needed and due date, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your request for community service.
- All shifts need to be scheduled ahead of time; we are NOT a drop-in program.
- We have shifts seven days per week: 7:30 am – 12:30 pm and 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
- You can only do one shift per day and a minimum of three hours per shift.
- Community Service volunteers will not handle animals.
- The Shelter is closed most major holidays, and sometimes closes for weather. Community Service volunteers will not be able to complete hours on these occasions.
- Complete the application here. After applying, you will be contacted within five business days. If you qualify for the program, you will be sent an email with a link to pay for and fill out a background check through our partner, Verified Volunteers. If you do not qualify for the program, you will be notified.
- Fill out and pay for a background check ($15.40 – non-refundable). This is not a requirement for hours assigned through Jefferson County Court.
- Attend a set-up meeting. If you are eligible based on your background check, you will be invited to attend a mandatory meeting here at the Shelter (this does not count toward your total hours). Please bring with you your time sheet from the court and a state-issued photo ID. At the meeting, you will get a brief tour of the Shelter, get an introduction to our Community Service program and our policies and sign a volunteer agreement. You will also sit down with staff to schedule your shifts. We offer these meetings twice a week, at various days and times.
- Complete hours. Once you have completed all required hours, Volunteer Management staff will fill out your time sheet and get it back to you and/or your case manager, depending on the requirements of the court.
If you have any additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 720-407-5237.