Unfortunately, senior animals (usually grouped as 7 years and older) are often overlooked when people are searching for the perfect pet to bring home. However, adopting a senior pet has many benefits!
Here are our top ten reasons to adopt a senior cat:
10. What you see is what you get. With an older cat, you already know their full-grown size, so there’s no guessing about how big they will get.
9. They are already housebroken. Senior cats are often already litter box trained and know how to behave in a home environment.
8. They require less time and energy. Kittens can require a lot more playtime and entertainment. Senior cats, on the other hand, often just want to cuddle with you.
7. Their personality is already developed, making it easier to know if they will fit in with your family.
6. They already have manners. Senior cats know things like how to use a scratching post, instead of your furniture, and that they should bite toys, not your hands or feet.
5. They are easier to train because they have longer attention spans. Kittens can get bored easily, making them more likely to get into mischief.
4. They make great napping buddies. Kittens want to play all the time, including at 3 am. Senior cats love to relax during the day and will also let you sleep through the night.
3. You will feel great about rescuing a wonderful pet that others might not want simply because of its age. Bringing a senior pet into your life can be an incredibly rewarding experience.
2. They still have a lot of love to give. Just because they may be older doesn’t mean they still don’t have a lot of companionship and love to give a family or person.
And the number one reason to adopt a senior cat…
Adoption fees for senior cats at Foothills Animal Shelter are always a great value! Visit our homepage for information about the current adult cat special. For all adoption specials, the regular adoption process applies. Every adoption includes spay or neuter surgery, vaccinations, a microchip and a free health exam.