Halloween Pet Safety

Halloween night can be a stressful time for pets due to all of the strange noises and kids in scary costumes going up and down the street. It is important that owners are mindful of potential pet hazards that can sometimes go along with this fun holiday.


  • biriyani-8090If you are using a candle to light your pumpkin, a pet may knock it over, resulting in a fire. Curious kittens and puppies can also get singed by candle flames.Simply place Jack-o-Lanterns in pet-free zones.


  • If you are dressing up your pet, try the costume on before Halloween to make sure it fits comfortably.
  • Make sure it doesn’t hinder his/her ability to move.
  • A festive bandanna may be a good alternative to a costume.
  • Always monitor your pet while he/she is wearing their costume and limit the amount of time they wear it.


  • Be aware that tasty candy for humans can be dangerous to pets. Keep Halloween treats safely away from pets.
    • Chocolate is poisonous.
    • The artificial sweetener xylitol can be harmful, too, and is in many sugarless candies and gums.
    •  If your pet does accidentally eat candy make sure to visit the vet immediately and call the ASPCA Poison Hotline at (888)426-4435.


  • Unless your pet is particularly outgoing, it is best to keep them safe and quiet in a separate room. A bunch of strangers visiting a pet’s home multiple times in a night (and ringing the doorbell each time) can be stressful for them.
  • Each time you open the door for a trick-or-treater, your pet could escape. Be sure he/she has a current tag and license secured onto their collar. It is another great reason to have them safely confined in a back room with no chance to zip out of a front door.