Start Your Search
View our adoptable pets online to see if you spot an animal you are interested in.
When You Decide to Adopt
Please bring a photo ID, such as a driver’s license, when you come to the Shelter. In addition, all adoptions require an approved adoption application that you will fill out in-person. Finally, it’s important to bring all your family members to the Shelter to meet the animal. You want to make sure the pet you’re adopting fits in with your family. If you rent, please bring a copy of your rental agreement and pet policy.
Once you spot a dog, cat or critter at the Shelter that you are interested in meeting, you can:
- Speak with one of our Adoption Specialists to learn about the pet’s history, personality and care requirements.
- Visit with the animal in one of our private “Getting to Know You” rooms or outside in one of our play yards.
- If you decide to adopt, talk with one of our staff members about filling out the adoption application to be approved for adoption.
- Pay the adoption fees and take your new pet home!
Please note: all animal adoptions and dog-to-dog visits end 30 minutes prior to the Shelter closing.
Placing an Animal On Hold
If you need some extra time to think about your adoption before taking an animal home, we offer an adoption hold program for your convenience. You may place a hold on an available animal in- person during business hours for $15; animals younger than 5 months old require a $20 fee to hold. Holds expire after 24 hours. Hold fees are non-refundable and are not applied towards the adoption fee.
Adoption fees help offset the cost of housing, feeding, training and providing medical care for the more than 9,200 animals we see at our Shelter each year. The adoption fees at our Shelter are a fantastic value! For puppies, kittens, dogs and cats, they include:
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Initial vaccinations
- A microchip
- A voucher for a free health exam
- A 5-pound bag of Purina Pro Plan dog or cat food
- Thirty days of pet insurance, compliments of Foothills Animal Shelter. Coverage begins immediately after adopter activation.
- For some pets, the adoption fee could also include countless hours of health care, foster care, socialization and training
At Foothills Animal Shelter, we value every pet equally and consider them to be priceless. The higher fees for some pet adoptions give us additional resources to provide extra help to other animals—such as those that may require surgery, medical treatment, extended care and more.
Dogs: $75 – $500
Puppies (under the age of 6 months): $200 – $500
If you reside in Jefferson County, you may also be required to purchase a $20 pet license at the time of adoption.
Cats 6 years and older: $25 – $250
Cats aged 3-6 years: $50
Cats aged 1-3 years: $75
Cats aged 6 months to 1 year: $100
Kittens (under the age of 6 months): $150
Small Animal Adoptions
Guinea pigs, rats and mice: $5 – $50
Rabbits, ferrets, small birds, etc.: Varies from $15 – $100, depending on the species
Other exotic pets: Varies