Beginning on Monday, May 18, 2020, Foothills Animal Shelter will no longer require an appointment for adoptions. We will be open to the public from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., in a limited manner, for all pet adoptions.
- Only 2 families will be allowed in the adoption area at a time. Upon arrival, we will be checking patrons in outside of the building. Be prepared to wait outside or in your car and after checking in with a Shelter staff member. We will be taking phone numbers to text when it is your turn to enter the Shelter.
- Patrons will have 15 minutes to browse the adoptable pet selection and will only be allowed to visit with one species at a time with a maximum of visiting with 2 pets per visit.
- Dog to dog visits will only be allowed with dogs in our care that require “Mandatory Dog Visit.”
- Please wear a mask when entering the Shelter.
Placing an Animal On Hold
If you need some extra time to think about your adoption before taking an animal home, we offer an adoption hold program for your convenience. You may place a hold on an available animal in- person during business hours for $15; animals younger than 5 months old require a $20 fee to hold. Holds expire after 24 hours. Hold fees are non-refundable and are not applied towards the adoption fee.
Adoption fees help offset the cost of housing, feeding, training and providing medical care for the more than 9,200 animals we see at our Shelter each year. The adoption fees at our Shelter are a fantastic value! For puppies, kittens, dogs and cats, they include:
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Initial vaccinations
- A microchip
- A voucher for a free health exam
- A 5-pound bag of Purina Pro Plan dog or cat food
- Thirty days of pet insurance, compliments of Foothills Animal Shelter. Coverage begins immediately after adopter activation.
- For some pets, the adoption fee could also include countless hours of health care, foster care, socialization and training
At Foothills Animal Shelter, we value every pet equally and consider them to be priceless. The higher fees for some pet adoptions give us additional resources to provide extra help to other animals—such as those that may require surgery, medical treatment, extended care and more.
Dogs: $75 – $500
Puppies (under the age of 6 months): $200 – $500
If you reside in Jefferson County, you may also be required to purchase a $20 pet license at the time of adoption.
Cats 6 years and older: $25 – $250
Cats aged 3-6 years: $50
Cats aged 1-3 years: $75
Cats aged 6 months to 1 year: $100
Kittens (under the age of 6 months): $150
Small Animal Adoptions
Guinea pigs, rats and mice: $5 – $50
Rabbits, ferrets, small birds, etc.: Varies from $15 – $100, depending on the species
Other exotic pets: Varies
RETURNING AN ADOPTED ANIMAL
Although we adopt with high hopes, sometimes a new pet may not be the right fit for your family. If an animal is returned within 30 days of adoption, 50% of the animal’s adoption fee will refunded.
When you return an adopted animal to Foothills Animal Shelter within 30 days, you can do so knowing they will continue to receive the best care possible. To help us do this, we will refund 50% of your adoption fee. The other 50% allows the shelter to ensure every animal has access to adequate food, water, shelter, and medical care.