window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || ;
gtag('js', new Date());
There are many reasons you may need to relinquish your pet and our staff will treat both you and your pet with compassion during this process.
Our Admissions Center is open daily, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for pet relinquishments. Please keep the following in mind:
- Bring identification and proof of Jefferson County residency.
- At this time Foothills only accepts pet relinquishments from residents of Jefferson County and the City of Westminster, or animals previously adopted from Foothills Animal Shelter.
- Be prepared to sign a waiver releasing ownership rights to the pet.
- Be prepared to provide as much information about your pet as possible. Background information (including both health and behavior) is incredibly important for our staff as it helps prepare us in handling your pet and helps us communicate their history to potential adopters. You will be asked to complete a questionnaire in person with the assistance of a staff member. Save time by filling out the relinquishment questionnaire in advance below:
- Once you relinquish your pet, they will be evaluated for our adoption program based on their medical and behavioral health. Animals who do not qualify for adoption placement through Foothills Animal Shelter for medical or behavioral reasons may be considered for transfer to a qualified placement partner or may be humanely euthanized.
- Please check-in with a team member before entering the building with any birds.
Jefferson County Resident Relinquishment Fees
We will accept any in-county animal regardless of the ability to pay the relinquishment fee.
- Dogs and/or Puppies: $60
- Mother Dog with litter of puppies and/or pregnant: $80
- Cats and/or kittens: $40
- Mother Cat with litter of kittens and/or pregnant: $60
- Ferrets: $20
- Small Mammals: $25
- Other pets: Fees vary
- Please contact our team regarding relinquishment of aquatic turtles and pet birds or chickens.
- We are unable to accept livestock.
Out-Of-County Relinquishment Fees
At this time we are only accepting pet relinquishments from residents of Jefferson County and the City of Westminster, or previously adopted pets from Foothills Animal Shelter.