We recommend beginning your search as soon as possible for the best chance of being reunited with your lost pet.
- Was your pet wearing its license tag when it went missing? Contact the organization where you licensed your pet immediately and verify that your phone number and address are up to date in their records.
- Does your lost pet have a microchip? Contact the microchip company immediately and verify that your phone number and address are up to date in their records.
- If you cannot locate your pet’s microchip paperwork containing the microchip number and company information, try contacting your veterinarian (or a shelter or rescue group if you adopted your pet). They may be able to locate that information for you.
-Search high and low
- Search online lost & found postings such as animal shelter and rescue group websites.
- Post on social media sites like Facebook, Instagram, NextDoor and check Craigslist.org.
- Post flyers within a several-mile radius of where your pet went missing. Make sure to include a brief description, up-to-date photo and your phone number.
- A familiar scent may help lead your pet home. Place items outside of your house such as clothing, their bedding and/or toys.
- For lost cats, consider leaving their litter box or a can of tuna outside. Indoor cats are easily disoriented by the smell of outdoors, so a familiar scent may help lead them home.
If your pet is found by an Animal Control Officer in Arvada, Edgewater, Golden, Lakewood, Westminster, Wheat Ridge, or unincorporated Jefferson County and has a license tag, they will make every attempt to return the pet directly to you before bringing your pet to the Shelter. If your pet is not wearing a license tag, the officer will bring the pet to Foothills Animal Shelter.
If your pet is found by a community member, they might take it to a shelter or organization they are familiar with – not necessarily the closest location. Therefore, please check our Shelter even if you live outside of Jefferson County.
ANIMAL CONTROL CONTACTS
- Arapahoe County 720.874.6750
- Arvada Animal Management 720.898.6850
- Brighton 303.288.1535
- Broomfield Animal Control 303.438.6400
- Clear Creek County 303.679.2398
- Denver Animal Control 720.913.1311
- Edgewater Animal Control 303.235.0500
- Englewood Animal Control 303.761.7410
- Gilpin County 303.572.0750
- Golden Code Enforcement 303.384.8045
- Jefferson County Animal Control 303.271.5070
- Lakeside Police 303.455.1980
- Lakewood Animal Control 303.987.7173
- Longmont Animal Control 303.651.8500
- Mountain View Police 303.421.7282
- Northglenn Animal Control 303.450.8886
- Sheridan Animal Control 303.762.2200
- Thornton Animal Control 303.538.7517
- Westminster Animal Control 303.658.4326
- Wheat Ridge Animal Parks 303.235.2926
LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTERS
- Adams County 303.288.3294
- Arapahoe County 720.874.6750
- Clear Creek/Gilpin Co. Animal Shelter 303.679.2477
- City of Aurora 303.326.8288
- Denver County 720.913.1311
- Denver Dumb Friends League 303.751.5772
- Humane Society of Boulder Valley 303.442.4030
- Humane Society of South Platte Valley 303.703.2938
- Longmont Humane Society 303.772.1232
- Park County 719.836.4380
- Intermountain Humane Society 303.838.2668